Jan 13, 2010

Unfinished Business

I have a bad gaming habit. It cant be described in one word that I know yet. I find a great game, I spend hours and hours playing it. I get to the final boss or end. I STOP PLAYING!

Not just for the time being, not just for a day or so. I don't get back to the game for months. When I eventually get back to it, Ive forgotten how to play, and I have to restart the game to retrain myself how to play and whats going on in the story.

No New Game+, No full replays, Nothing. I just delete my old file and start anew. This isn't too bad of a thing though. The second time through a game you know what to expect, what secrets and bonuses and upgrades are worth hunting down as soon as possible. Not to mention your speed and skill has greatly increased. And you still enjoy the game just as much. Usually.

Of the 85 games in my CD wallet, 41 were beaten, 22 were given up on at the end. The rest haven't been played enough or can't end. So basically a quarter of my games end in a random urge to quit while I'm ahead. So why? Am I alone in this habit?

I think it's because I enjoy the games too much. I just don't want them to end. That seems a logical explanation. But if I reflect inward, I also bring the reminder that as a life-long gamer, laziness overpowers. Maybe when I play games and feel I'm doing well, and then suddenly at the end the difficulty curves steeply, and suddenly I'm not having so much fun. I'm dying where I was once triumphant and become frustrated.

Maybe its all 3. I'm frustrated that I'm at the end and how hard it suddenly is and I'm too lazy to get better at it to get over that final hump..

I eventually get through the games on the second time (or third) So maybe it isn't so bad after all. More excuses to play great games again.

No comments:

Post a Comment